This bill is one that shouldn't even need a lot of discussion but there are plenty of cat haters in the world so it needs support. All this bill does is say "hey, in VA, it's okay to have a TNR program."
Here is the full bill if you wish to read it (it's the last paragraph on the last page).
I didn't intent to write a letter when I first read about this bill in January because I thought to myself "hey, how can anyone be against this?" But clearly I was wrong. Plus my friend asked me if I would write a quick letter and Alley Cat Allies made the letter writing really, really, easy. So how could I not?
As a Virginia resident and your constituent, I urge you to support SB 359.
SB 359 clarifies that Virginia law does not prohibit localities from engaging in Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR), which is a safe, humane and effective way of managing feral cats. Feral cats are often cats or descendants of cats that were cruelly discarded by their owners. On their own, unneutered feral cats will breed creating a large colony. TNR controls the population in a colony and improves the health of the cats. During a TNR operation, the cats in the colony are trapped. During the neutering/spaying procedure, the cats are also vaccinated and eartipped. The eartipping lets people know that the cat has already been neutered and vaccinated. TNR is performed in all counties and cities across Virginia. It is a highly successful form of population control.
SB 359 neither mandates a locality to do anything nor costs anything to a locality. It clarifies that Trap-Neuter-Return is not prohibited. Please support the humane care of cats in Virginia. As a cat owner and cat lover, I respectfully request that you vote yes on SB 359.
So if you are in Virginia and you think feral cats deserve life and you can take 5 minutes to write a letter, please click here!
No comments:
Post a Comment