Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Freecycling Your Pet

Freecycle is a great concept. You have stuff you no longer want/need and you post it online in your community. Someone that wants it contacts you and you arrange a time to meet. It doesn't cost them anything and saves you the hassle of packing things up and taking them to the Salvation Army. Most importantly it keeps things out of the landfills.

For a long time, Freecycle did not allow you to post living creatures. They have since revised this policy and allow you to post your own animals. You can not post stray animals.

I have a problem with this. First of all, Norfolk, being what it is, is filled with thousands of transient families. As these families move from base to base they can not always get housing that accepts pets. Norfolk is also a university town which further contributes to the transient population. So they post them on Freecycle and hope someone, anyone will take them. Here is the thing: YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE GIVING YOUR PET TO!

I know that people callously feel that pets are like handbags and that when it is worn out or no longer matches your other belongings, you pass it along. Pets are LIVING, FEELING CREATURES. When you got him or her, you made a commitment to provide lifelong love and care for your new loyal companion.

If you are military and you only want to live in military housing, don't get a pet. It's really that simple!

If you just got your first apartment and are moving back into the dorm in the fall, don't get a pet!

If you are one of those people that moves into a new apartment every year and you can't be bothered to find pet-friendly ones, don't get a pet!

If you can't evacuate with your pets, don't get a pet!

The latest Freecycle post, the one that prompted this post, is as follows: I have a cat that is 4 1/2 years old. Her name is Liberty and I have
owned her since she was 6 weeks when I adopted her from a shelter.
They say she's part siamese and manx (born without a tail). She is
fixed and declawed but has not been updated on shots in about 2
years. I should still have her records for before that time. She has
a litter box problem. It literally took me 3 years before she'd use
her litter box and she still has accidents. She's been medically
examined and they said that she was merely mad at us for something. I
have tried literally everything to train her and she was doing well,
didn't have an accident for 6+ months and she's started up again. I
have an infant and she doesn't take well to him. She doesn't like
little kids and would be best in a home with an 8+ year old. She used
to be scared of strangers but has been coming around to just about
anyone that will give her attention. She does not like dogs nor other
cats. We used to have ferrets and once she got to know them she loved
playing with them. Does well with birds for the most part. She likes
to antaginize our cockatiel by putting her paw in the birds cage but
she doesn't attack it. You will have to allow her time to adjust to
your family and surroundings. She will come with everything: toys,
dishes, food, a carrier (I'm not sure if she'll still fit in it),
litter, litter box, grooming supplies and whatever else I have....I
only ask that if it doesn't work out with her that you please let me
know and I will take her back. I will answer any and all questions.
Again, she does have a litter box problem. I can send pictures if
you'd like. Thanks so much!


That is the exact post. No editing.

If you read it, you will see that they have a Siamese cat. Siamese cats are notoriously finicky cats. You will also notice that this cat has lived in a house with birds, ferrets, dogs, cats, small children and now a human infant. What you don't know is that this poster lives in a small townhouse in military housing. I am sure this house does not smell wonderful. The cat has not been vaccinated and the owner doesn't even know if she will fit into her carrier. Have they really tried everything and now they only have one option: get rid of their cat?

This is disgraceful. The poster needs to find a reputable rescue or take it to the SPCA. Instead the poster's email was received by a few thousand people in Norfolk. People that are not screened. Who knows if that nice young man that might want your cat really likes cats or wants to use it as bait for his pitbull?

No comments: