Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Big Easy

We have been in New Orleans for the past few days. It has been glorious. My sisters' new house is very cool and has tons of potential. If I had an unlimited amount of time and money, I would have great fun playing HGTV!

It has been just under 18 months since I was last here and the lack of progress is still very depressing. There are still houses in need of being gutted and houses that are in the process of being gutted. House after house after house remains abandoned and boarded up. There are so many homes for sale (in all stages from studs only to full remodel) it is unbelievable.

I still have not seen any wild parrots and I don't know if they will come back.

We took the St. Charles streetcar (finally running after 2-1/2 years) to the French Quarter twice. The vendors in Jackson Square were severely diminished. Not only are there less since K, but it rained in the afternoons and many left. The French Market has had more vendors than ever since Katrina. There are still no food vendors but construction of the food stalls is in progress. The French Market has a nice new level floor. I got a little discount on my piece of jewelry from my favorite vendor.

We had a delicious lunch at Bennachin's which I have been waiting for for a year and a half. D and I went to Dick and Jenny's which was fabulous. We also went to the Gumbo Shop which had a great vegetarian dish. Their bread pudding was VERY alcohol-laden. D had a blueberry mojito at St. Joe's on Magazine Street and she has been craving one ever since!

I cooked a couple of great dinners for everyone and have been bonding with Teddy and Ruffuss!

No comments: